Please note: Information in this post is not meant as a substitute for veterinary care. Always consult your veterinarian in an emergency.
- Muzzle and or cover the head of the pet.
- Open fractures should be dressed with a wet dressing applied over the opening and bone.
- If possible, the limb should be immobilized with a splint to prevent further injury. – Any splint should extend past at least one joint above and one joint below the fracture site.
- Carefully transport him to a veterinarian
- If the splint is difficult to apply or the animal objects, do not attempt splinting.
- Never attempt to set or reduce a fracture or try to push a protruding bone back into position.