Please note: Information in this post is not meant as a substitute for veterinary care. Always consult your veterinarian in an emergency.
- Take your dog away from the heat.
- Spray them with cool water or put a cool towel on them.
- NEVER use Ice Water, Ice, or Ice bath.
- Encourage your dog to drink, DO NOT Force them to.
- Monitor them and continue cooling them off until temperature has decreased.
Rapidly cooling the pet is extremely important. While ice or cold water may seem logical, its use is not advised. Cooling the innermost structures of the body will actually be delayed, as ice or cold water will cause superficial blood vessels to shrink, effectively forming an insulating layer of tissue to hold the heat inside. Tap water is more suitable for effective cooling.