Dog And Puppy First Aid: Shock

Please note: Information in this post is not meant as a substitute for veterinary care. Always consult your veterinarian in an emergency.

Signs

  1. Pale or White Gums
  2. High or low heart rate
  3. Increased Respiratory Rake
  4. Weak pulse
  5. Quite and Lethargic

Actions

  1. Breath. Stay calm.
  2. Call your vet and get your dog ready to be transporter Immediately.
  3. Keep your pet calm.
  4. Control all evidence of external bleeding with pressure.
  5. Wrap the pet in a blanket if cold.

Shock occurs when there is a lack or shortage of oxygen in the body’s tissues. This can happen from blood loss or problems with the distribution of blood in the body. Common emergencies that can cause shock are trauma, gdv (bloat) infection, hyperthermia, poison, and severe allergic reaction.

Some more information on shock see First Aid Handbook.

Aly DelaCoeur, UW-AAB
Aly DelaCoeur, UW-AAB is one of the founders of Wag Enabled (originally Why Does My Dog). Aly has a certificate in applied animal behavior through the University of Washington and is a certified veterinary assistant and AKC Evaluator. She aims to provide an unbiased perspective on dog training by providing practical, intelligent, and caring advice for people to impart on their canine companions